Saturday, July 25, 2020

Sarah Major Pattillo 1750-1870 My 4th Great Grandmother on My Father's Side

The Claiborne Moody Home, Dinwiddie County, built in 1753.
This is the type of home that would have existed when Sarah
was born. Photos from the Virginia Heritage website.

Sarah Major was the wife of Solomon Pattillo. She was born about 1750 in the State of Virginia close to the border with North Carolina which is the same vicinity where our Pattillo ancestors lived. Sarah was the daughter of Bernard and Elizabeth Major. She had an older brother Bernard Major, Jr., a younger brother Samuel and a younger sister Joanna known as Joice.

Sarah married Solomon Pattillo in Dinwiddie County about 1772 when she would have been about twenty-two years old. They had four children – a small family by the standards of the times. Their eldest was a daughter Rebecca who was born about 1774. Then there were three sons, Williamson J. born about 1776, Edward M. born about 1778, and Samuel Henry Willis Pattillo, my third great grandfather, who was born about 1780. All of her children were born in Dinwiddie County. About 1788 the family moved from Dinwiddie to Mecklenburg county. They lived in Boydton which was the county seat.

The Boyd Tavern in Boydton existed in 1801 when Sarah
lived there with her family
Sarah died in Boydton in 1817 when she would have been about 67 years old. She left a short will that was written in beautiful script such that it is easy to read the entire text. Here is a transcript of the contents of Sarah’s will.

In the name of God amen I Sarah Pattillo of the County of Mecklenburg and State of Virginia being sick and weak but of sound mind and disposing memory and being disposed to dispose of such worldly estate as it hath pleased God to bless me with do give and bequeath the same in manner following.
Item, I give and bequeath to my son Williamson Pattillo one negro man by the name of Frank, also one feather bed and furniture to him and his heirs forever.
Item, I give and bequeath to my son Edward M. Pattillo one negro boy by the name of Littleton, two feather beds and furniture to him and his heirs forever.
Item, I give and bequeath to my son Samuel Pattillo one feather bed and furniture to him and his heirs forever.
Item, my will and desire is that all my property except such legacies as I have given above to my sons Williamson, Edward M. Pattillo and Samuel Pattillo after paying my just debts be equally divided between my four children. Viz. Williamson, Edward, Samuel and my daughter Rebecca Bradley. In witness whereof I have herewith set my hand and affixed my seal this fourth day of April one thousand Eight hundred and seventeen.
Sarah signed with an X.
Witnesses: William Bilbo, William L. Richards, Temperance Spinlock
At a court held for Mecklenburg County the 19th Day of May 1817 this last will and testament of Sarah Pattillo, deceased was presented into Court and proved by the oath of William Bilbo and William L. Richards, witness thereto and ordered to be recorded.
Teste Edward A Tubb
This is Sarah's will. 
According to Melba C. Crosse, “Sarah Major Pittillo gave her son, Williamson, power-of-attorney to reclaim a portion of her father’s estate which is evidenced by the following: Sarah Pittillo of Mecklenburg County, Virginia. For natural love and affection, I give my son Williamson Pattillo of said county and do by these presents constitute and appoint him sole attorney for me to sue for and recover my portinate part of the estate of my sister, Nancy, late wife of John Cabe of Orange County, North Carolina. And to divide the property of said deceased between the heirs of Bernard Major, Sr., deceased, late of Dinwiddie County, Virginia, or the legal representative of said heirs, his receiving for me and to my use one-fifth part and I do employ one or more attorneys-at-law under him _____ to revoke _____ this 7th day of November 1808.

Witnessed by Edward Pattillo and Major Brasfield.[1] 
Private residence in Boydton, Virginia. One of my photos
taken in 2017.



[1] Crosse, Melba C. Patillo, Pattillo, Pattullo, and Pittillo Families, p.102, Orange Co. N.C. Deed book 13, p. 211

No comments:

Post a Comment