Monday, August 17, 2020

Lottie's Photos: The Whole Family, July 4, 1939

John, Ray, Loie, Lewis, Anna, Emma, Marge, Bert and Ed
I've always loved this photo because everyone is in it. Starting on the left, that’s John Roger Thornally my maternal grandfather. He is holding a pipe. I wonder if that’s the reason I’ve always liked the smell of pipe tobacco. Grandpa died right after my 5th birthday but I spent a lot of time at Gramma and Grandpa’s house so I remember him. I remember being in his basement with him which was kinda spooky and I remember going to his funeral which frightened me.

The couple next to Grandpa are Marge’s parents Loie and Ray Anglemyer. They were at Bert and Marge’s home when we went there for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.

Next are my paternal grandparents Lewis and Anna Pattillo. Looks like Lewis has a pipe too. Anna is wearing a dark dress with a lighter pattern. I used to call her Polka-Dot Grandma because I had difficulty keeping my two grandmothers sorted out. Anna has her arm looped through Gramma T’s (Emma’s) arm who is standing next to her.

Bert and Marge are standing between Emma and Dad. Dad is the tall, handsome one on the right. No wonder mom fell in love with him. Mom took the photo two and a half months before she and Dad were married. The car was probably Dad’s.

Mom and Dad met on January 14, 1938 when Mom was eighteen. That night she wrote this in her diary. “I went to the German House with Mollie and danced with Vern. Then I danced the rest of the set with Ed Pattillo and he brought me home. He has a swell car, and is 24 years old. He wants to see me again but I’m not very interested.” Hum, guess she changed her mind about Ed Pattillo.

No comments:

Post a Comment