Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Lottie's Photos: Kathy 1943

 

Kathy 6 months, Terry 28 months. Taken in the backyard  of their 
Elsie Avenue home in San Leandro

My sister Kathy was born about a year and a half after my brother Terry. On April 2nd, 1943 mom wrote this in her diary, “Today I’m tired and don’t feel well. I’ve been sick to my stomach for a week new. I’m about two weeks late so I hope it doesn’t mean what it might. We stayed home tonite for a change to catchup a little on our sleep.” Seven months later she was absolutely thrilled to have a baby girl.

It was a difficult time. Our paternal grandfather was ill and Terry was a teething toddler. Food and other items were being rationed because World War II had begun and she was worried that our father would be drafted.

On November 9th she wrote that she was ready to give birth. On November 11th Dad got her to the hospital at 7:30 PM. They took her to the delivery room at 8:15 and Kathy was born at 9:00 weighing 8 pounds. I guess she really was ready. On the 12th Mom wrote, “Gee, am I happy. A girl! I can’t believe it.”

She stayed in the hospital for five days and when she got home her friend Mickey Mohr was there to help, as was Mom’s mother Emma and Mom’s lifelong friend Mickey Risoli who got a seven day leave from the WAVES to spend time helping as well. With all that help Mom was able to stay in bed and rest until November 24th, which seems like a shockingly long time these days when doctors have you up walking on the same day of having knee surgery.

It seems everyone was happy to have a girl. On December 9th Mom wrote that they had Ma and Pop Pattillo over for dinner and Gramma had Kathie in her lap the entire evening. Interesting that Mom spelled Kathie with an “ie” when she was first born. Her actual name is Kathleen but no one ever called her that.

No comments:

Post a Comment