Friday, October 9, 2020

Lottie's Photo: Dad's Vegetable Garden, 1945

 

Kathy, Dad and Terry in Dad's vegetable garden

I love this photo partly because my father and siblings all look so adorable but also because it clearly shows how much pleasure and pride my father took in his vegetable garden. Practically the first thing Mom wrote about after they purchased their first home on Elsie Avenue in San Leandro is the fact that Dad was outside working on planting a vegetable garden. This turned out to be a life long endeavor. Years later when I was young I remember how Dad would come home from work, covered in white dust from the sheetrock he’d been hanging all day. He would make a mess of washing up at the kitchen sink. Then he would turn around, give my mother a big hug and a sloppy kiss.

Typically, he would take a nap before dinner, then after dinner, he’d be out working in his garden. We had an apple, apricot, plum, two orange trees and a walnut tree that all produced fruit and nuts. For many years there were blackberry vines and a few raspberries. Dad always planted a large area with corn, lots of tomatoes, multiple types of squash – all of which I hated, cucumbers, and beans. He also planted potatoes and onions which he stored in a dark shed after harvesting and they lasted that way for months. We also had rhubarb and artichoke plants. In later years, after I’d left home, he grew fava beans.

Prepping the soil, doing the planting and watering and tending all this was a big, on-going job. Most of the work was done by Dad but Mom and I sometimes helped with the planting and Terry and I were often charged with watering and harvesting. Throughout the summer mom did a LOT of canning and freezing to store the proceeds to last through winter – nothing better than home-grown corn from our freezer in December. Everyone was involved with pie making and fruit canning – Dad or Terry would pick the fruit, Mom would prepare it, Kathy or I would make the dough and assemble the pies which Mom would bake, and of course, we all enjoyed eating them.

No comments:

Post a Comment