Saturday, December 26, 2020

Lottie's Photos: Christmas 1939

 

Back: Lewis, John and Emma
Front: Anna, Mom, Marge and Bert
It’s Boxing Day – the day after Christmas and I feel a sense of relief. Celebrating Christmas in our family was a double-whammy because my mother Lottie was born on Christmas day in 1919. So, there was always a lot of excitement and later a lot of pressure to make it extra special for everyone but especially for my mother. For many years I've felt a tremendous sense of relief when Christmas, and all its preparations, was over. 

This photo was taken the first Christmas after my parents were married and long before I was born. I like this photo because it shows all four of my grandparents and my only aunt and uncle. I have that necklace that mom is wearing in this photo. It opens to reveal a photo of Mom and Dad.

 

That year Mom and Dad hosted the family on Christmas Eve. Everyone arrived at 6 PM and they served Tom and Jerry’s. Then they opened their packages. Our family always opened gifts on Christmas eve which I thought was great – one less day to wait. Mom wrote, “They went home about 11 PM. I was tired as heck, but terribly happy.”

 

The following day Dad went to mass with Mom – something he did on occasion when they were first together. Dinner was at Gramma and Grandpa Thornally’s. Gramma served turkey and carrot pudding. The Pattillo’s spent Christmas at Dad’s cousin Jo’s home in Brentwood but they stopped by on their way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment