Monday, April 12, 2021

Lottie's Photos: Cute Photos of Terry and Kathy 1946


Terry and Kathy holding hands in the garden

Taking photographs was a life long hobby and pleasure for my mother. It all began when my father gave her a camera for their first Christmas together in 1938. That was when Mom started to document our family life. Not only did she take the photos and have them developed, she dutifully pasted them into photo albums and annotated each volume with captions and later she added stories that explained what was happening in our lives. She gave detailed accounts of holidays and family trips – where we went, when and what we saw.  

All the photos I’ve used to illustrate this blog series so far have been from volume one of her massive collection of albums. This photo of Terry and Kathy is one of very few in the album that is in color. This photo is one of the images she captured on her first roll of color film. It was taken in 1946.

 

This album includes several photos of my two siblings as infants and toddlers and includes many wonderful shots of the two of them together looking incredibly cute and angelic. I scanned nearly 200 photos from volume one. Terry and Kathy are the stars of 33 of those shots and most notable to me is that in ten of those shots – nearly one third the two of them are holding hands. Now, how cute is that?

 

Volume one covers the period 1938 to 1949 and is my favorite of all my mom’s photo albums despite the fact that I’m not included in it. I cherish this book because it depicts my ancestors and many of my parent’s friends during the earliest years of their marriage. Volume two covers 1950 – 1957 – a seven-year period compared to eleven years in volume one. Volume three covers 1957 – 1961 – only four years. That pattern continues and in later years some volumes are devoted exclusively to one major trip that took place during a single year.

 

Working on her photo albums gave mom a lot of pleasure. Sometimes she took an album with her on a motorhome trip when she would have time to sit beneath a tree by some California lake and put her latest batch of pictures in her album. Near the end of her life, she would ask my brother Terry to retrieve one of her older books and then she would enjoy looking at her photos and reminiscing about all the things that she and my father enjoyed together. Now, these albums give me pleasure and hopefully, they will continue to delight Lottie’s descendants via this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment